How to Start a UK Ltd Company: Requirements, Costs & Process Explained
Starting a UK Ltd company is one of the best decisions I made for my online business. In March 2023, I was sitting in Lahore, confused about how to get a professional UK business presence. I didn’t want to pay a lawyer £500. I just wanted a legit company to run my Shopify store and receive payments from UK clients.
Today, my UK Ltd company is almost 2 years old. I have paid UK taxes, opened Wise Business, and got Stripe for my store. And total cost to start? Less than £90.
In this guide, I will explain everything you need to start a UK Ltd company in 2026 — whether you live in the UK, Pakistan, India, Nigeria, Bangladesh, or anywhere in the world. No legal jargon. Just real requirements, real costs, and the exact process I followed.
Why Start a UK Ltd Company in 2026?
A lot of people ask me, “Saad bhai, UK Ltd kyun? Why not US LLC?” Here is why I chose UK:
- Global Trust: UK Ltd is trusted worldwide. When you tell a UK client you have a UK Ltd, they trust you more than a solo freelancer.
- Low Cost to Start: US LLC in Delaware or Wyoming costs $300-$500. UK Ltd costs £12 if you do it directly with Companies House. Even with an agent, under £90.
- Easy for Non-Residents: UK allows 100% foreign directors and shareholders. You don’t need UK visa, UK address (you can use virtual address), or to visit UK.
- Access to UK Payment Gateways: With a UK Ltd, you can get Wise Business with UK sort code, Stripe UK, and even PayPal Business. Without it, you are stuck.
- No Minimum Capital: You can start with £1 share capital. I started with £1.
If you sell on Shopify, Amazon UK, or work as a freelancer for UK companies, a UK Ltd gives you instant credibility.
Requirements to Start a UK Ltd Company (2026 Checklist)
Don’t overthink it. You only need 5 things. Here is the checklist Companies House asks for:
| Requirement | What It Means | Example from My Company |
|---|---|---|
| 1. Company Name | Must be unique and not already taken at Companies House. Must end with “Ltd” or “Limited”. | Mine is “Saad Ecom Ventures Ltd” |
| 2. Director (At Least 1) | You can be the director. Must be 16+ years old. No UK residency needed. Passport is enough. | I am the only director, Pakistani passport |
| 3. Shareholder (At Least 1) | Can be same person as director. 100% foreign ownership allowed. | I own 100% shares — 1 share of £1 |
| 4. Registered Office Address in UK | Must be a real UK address. This goes on public record. You can use a virtual address from a formation agent. | I use a London virtual address for £99/year from 1st Formations |
| 5. SIC Code (Business Activity) | A 5-digit code that tells HMRC what your business does. E.g., 47910 for online retail. | 47910 - Retail sale via mail order houses or internet |
Documents You Need (from any country): Passport, proof of address from your home country (bank statement or utility bill - last 3 months), and a UK service address (provided by agent).
How Much Does It Cost to Start a UK Ltd in 2026? (Real Cost Table)
This is where agents confuse you. Here is the real cost breakdown based on what I paid in 2023 vs 2026 prices:
| Item | Official/ Agent | Cost in 2026 | Is It Mandatory? |
|---|---|---|---|
| Companies House Fee (Direct) | gov.uk | £12 (online) | YES - This is the government fee |
| Formation Agent Package (Recommended for Non-Residents) | 1st Formations / Rapid Formations | £39.99 - £89.99 | NO, but highly recommended for virtual address + documents |
| Virtual UK Registered Office Address (1 Year) | 1st Formations, Tally, GoSolo | £39 - £99 / year | YES for non-residents (otherwise you need a friend’s UK address) |
| Service Address for Director (1 Year) | Same agent | £0 - £29 / year (often included) | YES - To keep your home address off public record |
| Wise Business Account | wise.com | FREE to open, £16 one-time card fee | Optional but best for UK payments |
| Accountant for Annual Accounts (Yearly) | UK Accountant | £150 - £400 / year | YES - You must file annual accounts even if zero sales |
My Total First Year Cost: £39.99 (1st Formations Privacy Package with 1 year address) + £12 Companies House included = £39.99. Then £300 for accountant later. So under £350 for everything in first year.
If you do it directly via Companies House website without an agent, you pay only £12. But you will need a UK address, and your home address will be public. I don’t recommend that for non-residents.
Step-by-Step Process: How I Registered My UK Ltd from Lahore in 7 Days
Here is exactly what I did. You can do the same from Pakistan, India, Nigeria, Bangladesh, or anywhere:
Step 1: Choose a Company Name and Check Availability
Go to Companies House name search: find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk. Search your desired name. If it says “No companies found”, it’s available. I checked 4 names, 3 were taken. Finally “Saad Ecom Ventures Ltd” was free.
Step 2: Choose a Formation Agent (Best for Non-Residents)
I compared 3 agents: 1st Formations (£39.99 Privacy), Rapid Formations (£12.99 Basic + £99 address), Companies House Direct (£12). For non-residents, 1st Formations Privacy is best because it includes registered office + service address for 1 year + free business bank introduction. I went with them.
Step 3: Fill Online Form (15 Minutes)
On 1st Formations site, I filled: Company name, business activity (I selected 47910 - Online Retail), director details (my passport, date of birth, Pakistani address), shareholder (same as director, 1 share of £1), and UK addresses (they provided virtual London address). Whole form took 15 minutes.
Step 4: ID Verification
They asked for my passport photo and a selfie. I uploaded my Pakistani passport and a quick selfie from my phone. They also asked for proof of address — I uploaded my Meezan Bank statement (last month) with my Lahore address. Approved in 3 hours.
Step 5: Companies House Approval and Certificate
After ID approval, 1st Formations submitted to Companies House. I got email next morning: “Your company is incorporated.” I got Certificate of Incorporation PDF with Company Number: 14XXXXXX. I still remember that feeling. It took less than 24 hours from submission.
Step 6: Open Wise Business and Get UK Bank Details
With certificate, I opened Wise Business. Uploaded same certificate, passport, and got UK sort code and account number in 2 days. Now I could receive UK payments like a local UK company.
From start to finish, 7 days including weekend. If you are in UK, it can be done in 24 hours.
After Incorporation: What You MUST Do (Don’t Ignore)
Many beginners think company ban gayi, bas khatam. No. You have yearly duties:
- 1. Confirmation Statement: Every year, you must confirm your company details at Companies House. Fee £34. Your formation agent or accountant can do it. Due once per year.
- 2. Annual Accounts: You must file accounts with Companies House within 9 months of year-end, even if zero sales. If you don’t, you get penalty £150 to £1500. I pay my accountant £250/year for this.
- 3. Corporation Tax Return: File with HMRC within 12 months of year-end. If your profit is under £50,000, Corporation Tax is 19% (2026 rate check gov.uk as it changes). If you are non-resident and work from Pakistan, you still pay UK Corporation Tax on UK company profits, but you may get relief in Pakistan via Double Tax Treaty. Ask accountant.
- 4. Keep Records: Keep invoices and receipts for 6 years. I use free Wave or paid QuickBooks.
5 Mistakes I Made (So You Don’t)
1. Using My Home Address as Registered Office: First time I tried direct via Companies House, I used my cousin’s UK address without permission. Companies House made it public. My cousin got letters. Embarrassing. Use virtual address.
2. Not Getting Service Address: My home Lahore address went on public record for 1 month. Anyone could see it on Companies House website. Scary. Always buy Privacy package with service address.
3. Forgetting PSC (Person with Significant Control): You must declare PSC. It’s you if you own more than 25%. Simple but people forget.
4. Thinking I Don’t Need Accountant: I tried to file accounts myself. I messed up. Got penalty warning. Now I pay accountant £250 and sleep peacefully. Worth it.
5. Not Opening Wise Immediately: My company was ready but I had no UK bank details for 2 weeks. Clients were waiting. Open Wise as soon as you get certificate.
FAQs — People From Around the World Ask Me
Can I start a UK Ltd company from Pakistan, India, Nigeria, Bangladesh in 2026?
Yes, 100% yes. UK law allows any nationality to be director and shareholder. You don’t need UK visa or to visit UK. I am from Pakistan, I did it. My friends in India and Nigeria also did it with same process.
How long does it take?
If you have passport and proof of address ready, 24 hours to 3 days. Companies House usually approves in 24 hours. My company was approved next morning.
Do I need to visit UK?
No. Everything is online. I have never visited UK, yet I have a UK Ltd company with UK bank details.
How much is total first year cost in 2026?
Budget £50-£100 for formation + virtual address, plus £250-£350 for accountant later. So £300-£450 all-in first year. My first year was £39.99 + £250 accountant = ~£290.
Can I open a UK bank account without living in UK?
Not a high street bank like Barclays. But you can get UK bank details (sort code + account number) via Wise Business which works 99% same and is accepted by HMRC, Amazon, Stripe. Check my guide: How to Receive UK Payments from Abroad Worldwide
Do I need to pay tax in UK if I live abroad?
Yes, your UK Ltd must pay UK Corporation Tax on its profits. Currently 19-25% depending on profit. Plus you may need to declare foreign income in your home country (Pakistan, India, etc.). Double Tax Treaty often means you don’t pay twice, but you must file in both places. Consult accountant.
What is SIC code? Which one should I choose?
It’s a 5-digit code for your business activity. For most online businesses, use 47910 (Online retail), 62012 (Business and domestic software), 70229 (Management consultancy), 73110 (Advertising). You can have up to 4 codes.
Final Verdict: Should You Start a UK Ltd in 2026?
If you are serious about selling to UK customers, working with UK clients, or building a Shopify brand that looks trustworthy, a UK Ltd is worth it. For less than £100 to start and £300/year to maintain, you get global credibility, access to Stripe, Wise, and PayPal Business.
It’s not for everyone. If you are just testing an idea and have zero sales, maybe start as sole trader or freelancer first. But if you already have clients or sales, UK Ltd gives you a professional edge.
I wasted £0 on lawyers. I did everything online myself for £39.99. You can too.
If you found this helpful, next read my guide on payments: How to Receive UK Payments Worldwide: Complete 2026 Guide — because company banane ke baad payment lena sabse important hai.
About the Author:
Hi, I am Saad, founder of Online Business UK Guide. I am based in Lahore, Pakistan, and registered my UK Ltd company in March 2023 from Pakistan. Since then, I run a Shopify store and help beginners worldwide start their UK companies. I have helped 200+ people from Pakistan, India, and Nigeria start their UK Ltd companies using this exact process. Everything on this blog is based on my real experience, not copy-paste. Questions? Contact me here.
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or accountant. UK company law and tax rates change. This article is based on my personal experience from 2023-2026. Please verify with official sources: Companies House (gov.uk) and HMRC (gov.uk), and consult a qualified UK accountant before starting your company.

Comments
Post a Comment